We get a lot of venison ground. Steaks and roasts are delicious yes, but when it comes to it, you can feed a lot more people on a pound or two of ground venison than you can with unground.
I generally substitute venison for beef, or in this case, beef will be subbed for venison when I make this tonight (because beef was on sale cheep when we were out of venison, and I froze it in flat packs, so a flat of beef thaws a lot quicker than the lump of venison I forgot to thaw this morning)
This ones pretty good, but I suggest taming the peppers if you have kidlets.
3 Tbsp. oil or bacon fat (I will add that I have thrown some chopped bacon in here, well worth it)
3 large onions, chopped -Yeah that's a little crazy in my opinion, so I just add them until it looks right.
1 can of chopped tomatoes- roughly 2 cups. I use a 14.5 oz can.
2 jalapenos, chopped- Child friendly version: 1 4 oz. can chopped green chili's.
1 tsp. chili powder
2 medium potatoes *very* thinly sliced
1 1/2 c. grated cheddar or Monterrey Jack cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
A clove or two of minced garlic, if you feel like it
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Brown meat in oil or fat. Add onions and cook until they are soft.
Stir in tomatoes, peppers, chili powder, salt and pepper, and minced garlic, cook for about 5 minutes. Spread in a flat oven dish, and layer the sliced potatoes on top.
3. Cover and bake 45 min.
4. Remove cover, sprinkle with cheese and bake another 15 minutes, or until nicely browned.
2 comments:
I'm gunna try this, I think Greg will like it!! Do you have THE PIONEER WOMAN cook book? There is a recipe for Whiskey Rib-Eye Steak that I used Venison steaks, and it's A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!!!! Greg says it's right up there with Southern Fried Baked Steak!! ;o)
Bobbi
Boy it's weird calling you that... Anyway, I got it out when I was I was first pregnant with Beans and while everything *sounded* good, I had no gumption to make it.
However, if it ranks with Sounthern fried, I think I need to check it back out from the library!
Post a Comment