Friday, July 9, 2010

Pizza Sauce


25-28 tomatoes
2 large onions, minced
4 garlic cloves minced
3 Tablespoons olive oil
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon cracked pepper
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 Tablespoons parsley, chopped
1 Tablespoon oregano
1 Tablespoon basil
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon celery seed
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon summer savory

1. Peel and purees tomatoes (or use one of these).

2. Put olive oil in a large, deep pan and saute onions and garlic until transparent. Add tomato puree and the rest of the ingredients. Stir well to blend.

3. Continue to cook over low heat until mixture is reduced by half. Stir occasionally. This will take 1 1/2 - 2 hours to reduce. (or longer as I found). When sauce is done, and nicely thickened, ladle into sterile pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace, wipe rims, and adjust caps. Process 35 minutes in a boiling water bath canner.

Yield: Uh, don't know. (that part of the recipe got cut off.) I would guess around 7 pints.

I never got this super thick, so I add a small can of tomato paste. To make up for the extra tomato from that, I sprinkle a bit of Italian seasoning, garlic salt, and because I like it, Parmesan cheese, over the sauce before adding pizza toppings.
FANTASTIC!

No comments: